Monday, January 28, 2008

Learning the Ropes

Living here is not for the weak of heart. Last night Josh and I sat outside and commented how comfortable it was. There was a breeze; no bugs or the smell of decomposition that had been in our yard for the past few days. So when we do have moments of comfort, we take note. But still we are here, and now along side us, we introduce you to Emily Fancher.

Our family met Emily when she came down on a work team this past summer with her church, the Vineyard Church of Columbus, Ohio. Emily and I talked about her life, my life and where God was taking us. Then we continued emailing after her return home while, during this time, God was readying her heart for a change. Within 6 months of her first trip, she is back in Brasil this time to stay for a while. She will live with our family, help homeschool, assist at CDR (the English school) and participate in church events.

Emily, second from left, and her work team from OH.
(photo courtesy of www.shutterthink.com)

So, going back to my lead-in, Emily has a tough path ahead. Not that there won’t be fun times, because I do prioritize fun. And not that we won’t laugh, or more often be laughed at, but it is a different way of living here that takes a while to work through. I have warned Emily that there will be unpleasant moments ahead. Stressful days but not stressful in the same way as it is in a fast-paced, time-driven way back in the States. A different kind of stress, like apprehension of the unknowns and situations way out of our comfort zones. For example, we simply do not have the structure or routine here that I would like. Believe me, I tried to make it happen, but God always wakes me up in the morning with something that I had not written on my list the night before. Case in point, Emily’s first week. I made a list of what to do the first week. You’d think I’d give up on lists. Now, the first week has passed and I have gotten about 50% of it accomplished. Pretty good I might say. But the week went hardly as planned. For one thing, Ella developed a horrendous tooth infection which got her out of school, the very thing Emily came to do. And then each morning was busy with various visitors. We had lunch guests every day that week, some expected, others not. So in the midst of busy mornings, Emily just jumped in and made herself useful somewhere. Which is exactly what I needed and I was reminded once again why God brought her to our family at this time. Emily is relaxed, patient, a creative thinker. She is a good complement to me because I am forever panicking as if I’m late for some unknown event or appointment. My kids don’t annoy her (yet) so her behavior reminds me to be more understanding and tolerant as I interact with my children.

A large cockroach has decided to share the room with Emily. For a moment I think, “big deal, be happy it is not a taratula or scorpion,” then I remember my first weeks here when I freaked out because there were holes in the screens, or water pouring down my walls while Mia slept on the floor inches from a puddle forming on the tile. Now, 18 months later, I have no problems with Mia sleeping in a hammock suspended between two trees. My perspective has changed, my “normal” has morphed into something else and my comfort zone has significantly widened. And so will Emily’s, but working through that takes time and effort and is not without challenges.

2 comments:

Chelsea Newton said...

YAY for Emily!

Anonymous said...

Ditto for the YAY! Sorry I couldn't see you guys longer than 30 minutes. I am praying for you all often.

-Nick