Monday, January 14, 2008

Irony

Ronesha (or maybe it was Camila) used to have a cat named Irony. The cat was funny because it got hit by a car and afterwards only walked in circles. The following story is not about her.

In the past month I had conversations/emails with 2 friends, Connie Gregory and a college friend Bethany. Connie is a missionary here in Brazil in a nearby city (nearby being relative) with PAZ and Bethany is working with New Tribes in Indonesia. Both of these women had high, emotion filled hopes of hosting guest houses and then, for various reasons, had to let go of their plans. At the time, I listened but thought it a bit ironic to hear these stories of their departure from guesthouse ministry as I was entering mine. I must admit I really did not empathize completely as I have now experienced a small fraction of the pain they endured. Now just to decide who will be president of the club.

3 comments:

Josh and Brin said...

No more stories about the guest house, i am over it. Now on to new things...Emily got her visa yesterday!

Anonymous said...

So Irony lives again, back one more time from her grave in the back yard. Brin, you are such an refreshing writer--cleverly woven phrases, unexpected mixes of humor and grief and brutal honesty, descriptions that pull me into your head--and (dare I say it) you are never more insightful than when you're reflecting on a crisis. I won't wish any more crises on you, but I do appreciate when you are able to get it down in words. Love you all. Tom

Anonymous said...

Hey! It was my cat! It cost me 250 dollars to fix that cat after the accident and then it just only turned right. Talk about not getting my money's worth!

Rachel