Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fruit



I don’t know why we keep making the same mistake over and over, but we again arrived at someone’s house on time. This time it was a birthday dinner that one of my friend’s dad wanted to host for me. We were told it started at 7:00, so we stupidly arrived at 7:00. Only my friend’s parents were there. Not even my friend was there. We wondered if we got the message right.

But what began awkwardly, soon became very comfortable and natural, a night I won’t forget. Before we ate the fish his dad had prepared, my friend read a verse and told everyone how much my friendship meant to him. It felt very surreal, like I was being accepted into a club. But more than that, I realized that my friend, Alison, truly felt a connection with me. He wanted to show me that, and I truly felt honored. He went on to thank me for the sacrifice I have made to come and live here.

I often have doubts of my effectiveness. Even as a youth pastor I experienced these doubts. The fruit I so often expected did not always result in the time and way I thought it should. And so often God would reveal in little ways that He was working, that He was in control and more importantly that He is the Producer of fruit. What I saw last night was a fruit basket. And it made me excited to see how God was going to produce more in the future.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Congrats on your fruit basket. By the way, is that a soul patch that I see? Dad

Anonymous said...

hey my friend... pow ... voce e especial para min ... voce e mais que um irmao ... parabens por tudo... ah e obrigado para esta me ajudando de todas as formas... voce e um bom dicipolador... ah e eu tenho que falar com voce mais rapido porque voce esta ficando cada dia melhor no portugues