Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Language School Plans

“Eu aindo estou aprendendo Portugues.” This is a very import phrase. It gives an explanation to people who would otherwise just stare, dumbfoundedly at me. It literally means, “I am still learning Portuguese”. But with it comes the plea, “Please cut me a little slack here, I’m not as dumb as I sound”.

Learning the language has been our main goal thus far in Brazil. We’ve been able to help out with more supportive roles, but being able to speak the language opens up endless opportunities for ministry. Recently we decided to take a month and study the language at a language school. On Feb. 12th we will be leaving for Salvador, a city in the south where we will be living and studying for a month.
We will be taking Emily with us, who will be helping watch the kids while Brin and I study. Brin still hopes to continue home schooling Ella as well. There are a lot of unknowns about where we are going, but we are trusting that God will use this month to continue to build in us the ability to communicate with the people we came to serve.

For those of you who care about the details… we will be traveling by bus to Salvador, the 3rd largest city in Brazil. The distance from Altamira to Salvador, approx. 1100 miles, is about the same distance from St. Louis to Key West, FL. However, what takes about 20 hours on US highways is supposed to take us about 48.

Altamira (red star) is about 1100 miles from Salvador (blue star) where we will be studying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salvador is South from where you are, but it is not "in the South" . It is in the Northeast. Huge difference, you guys. I'm praying for safety as you travel and as you stay over there. Do you REALLY need to go to Bahia? I'd rather you wouldn't... Sorry for the honesty. Your family is in my prayers too often! Love, Junia (Japan)

Anonymous said...

I am sure you meant that it's South of you. We all should go where the Lord leads us no matter what.