Sunday, November 26, 2006

Just Do What it Takes

I got upset the other day while cleaning my outdoor bathroom (we do have an indoor one as well!). I wasn’t entirely sure if I should approach it like I would in America. That would involve a sponge, Tilex, Comet, rubber gloves and good ventilation. I knew that wasn’t right so I asked Suzanne if I could just use the garden hose and spray the entire thing down. She said “sure.” So I did. But the hose didn’t reach so I could only spray the portion of the bathroom to where the stream of water would reach and use buckets of water for the rest. The mess seemed to grow worse and I was drenching myself in the process. I knew I could not be doing this the right way. Twenty minutes into the project my tears mix with the hose water until Gabriella arrives and finds the cleaning process, and my current state, quite pitiful. She laughs so I do too.

Everything takes so long here. And a lot more effort. And a lot more flexibility. And that is just how it is and I am sure I will get used to it. But at this point it is just simply painful to my psyche. We passed a bike on a bumpy road with a guy pedaling and a girl riding sidesaddle behind. That is how people get around. What impressed me was that the girl was carrying a two layered sheet cake completely decorated. The kind of cake that if I were to have one made in the States I would have secured it in the back seat of my mini-van and, very cautiously, driven directly from the bakery to home. Maybe that will be me someday or at least it won’t seem incomprehensible.

-BZJ

No comments: