Wednesday, November 15, 2006

In Over my Head, I Want to Be

Ella got up in the morning and asked Josh what the temperature would be today. Josh informed her it would be hot and raining, for the next two years. And thus begins our story in Altimira.

We’re in. We share a home with Bud and Suzanne and their three children. The house still has construction going on but we have our own bedrooms and bathrooms. Speaking of which, Ella had to learn how to turn the shower on. And then she asked where the hot water was. There is no hot water to be found anymore, just hot, heavy air. I do not mind the cool showers nor do I mind the little bugs that I share the bathroom with. I counted six little bug carcasses that had an untimely demise on my bar of soap.

Josh and Jed spent the first days putting up screens on the windows, cleaning up/repairing bookshelves that were out on the veranda (You have a veranda? Yes, I do believe so!) and finding a place to put all our things. So like I said, we’re in. There are noisy saws and hammers in the house, we have tubs of our stuff just lying around, and we have not met our language tutors yet (that’s a big frownie face from what we learned in Colorado). That’s ok. I don’t always feel that it is “ok” but I just keep telling myself that.

No comments: