Sunday, November 26, 2006

Choosing to Feel Good

I went to the “Supermercado” with a Brazilian to stock my house with all the housekeeping essentials. She knew no English with the exception of colors and I knew ridiculously few Portuguese words, strong on colors. Mostly she just loaded up my cart and behaved as if she had just won a shopping spree. I wasn’t sure what a few items were but didn’t question her until she started picking out really pretty, but expensive glassware. I gave her a not-a-chance look and motioned for the checkout. We went home and organized. Pleased with finally putting together a home and having a new friend to help (with good taste I might add), I feel my shoulders start to relax and my attitude more grateful. My circumstances became easier and the burdens of feeling out of place dissipating. I stopped fixating on what God could possibly have been thinking by placing me here. I feel better, yet ashamed that I couldn’t feel this way no matter what the circumstances of the moment are.

-BZJ

2 comments:

davesonya said...

oh. you sweet thing.
I'm praying for you today. packed up a pair of Mia's shoes for Ana to wear in Ethiopia (perfect size, apparently, Ana wears a 6)& remembered her darling little feet in them.
we send our smiles mixed with tears.
~Sonya

Anonymous said...

Sheet cakes on a bicycle. Spraying down the john with a too short hose. Details like that bring us all right down into your neighborhood with you, laughter and tears and all. You are raising the bar on missionary updates. Love you all so much and praying for you relentlessly. Dad P