Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Teaching English and Learning Portuguese



On Monday and Wednesday evenings I teach English to adults at the school the Xingu Mission operates. When I was first asked to teach it brought back memories of teaching English to teenagers in Romania last summer. Teaching English in Romania involved about 30 minutes of actual English instruction and a lot of games and fun. I loved it. Here it is a little different. I actually have to prepare lessons, formulate and grade tests and worksheets, reprimand the students for being late. The normal teacher stuff I suppose, but it is not nearly as much fun as just singing silly songs and playing “Guess the celebrity.” I do learn some Portuguese and also learn how not to pronounce Portuguese words when my students laugh at my speech. The best part is meeting Brazilians who are not associated with our churches, which is most of the other people I hang out with. ~bzp
Posted by Picasa

No comments: