Thursday, March 22, 2007

AlTaMira

Have you ever been standing at an ATM as the thought enters your mind “what would I do if my money doesn’t come out, but the machine debits my account”. I’ve always thought it would be hard to explain to a bank manager, and he would probably just think I was lying, or stupid. Well, come to find out, that’s exactly what happens! In fact, you look even more stupid if you are just learning the language…

The other day I was at the bank withdrawing money from an ATM. I heard the machine flipping through the cash as it counted it, but the slot never opened. The ATM was outside the bank, and the bank was closed, but people were still milling around inside. I knocked on the door and got a security guard’s attention. He finally got the bank manager and they were both standing there as I desperately tried to explain what happened. I realized I was getting nowhere as I saw that all too familiar look that says “I see your mouth moving, but I really don’t understand a thing that is coming out of it”.

It’s now been almost a week; I’ve confirmed that my account was debited for the withdrawal. After being back to the bank twice (with an interpreter), I’ve been assured that on Monday I will get my money. Things move slowly here. At least I didn’t have to stand in the hours-long line that most people must wait in to make a simple transaction. The banks are excruciatingly inefficient and slow here. But at least now I know what happens, as long as you don’t need your money right away it’s not that big of a deal!

2 comments:

BETO said...

your story makes me smile.
i never thought about that before. pls update if they've straighten it out or not.

Calvin and Jill said...

Great story! Been there, done that. :) We've been thinking of you guys alot! Check out our blog to see our new addition.