Sunday, January 04, 2009

Are you ready for some football????


It all started back in June when a team of my former youth group came down on a work team. Most of the guys played on the high school football team at the time and tried to teach a few Brasilians how to play "American" football. I brought back a football when we were home, thinking that maybe we would play again sometime. Last weekend about 12 guys showed up to learn how to play. Only 2 of them were at the original game in June, so we spent a lot of time explaining the rules (which can be kind of hard to explain when you don't know how to translate words like down, line-of-scrimmage, down by contact, 1st and goal and hike - how the heck am I supposed to translate hike? I don't even know what that means).

For not knowing the first thing about football, I was impressed with how quickly they learned. My only regret was explaining the lateral, it only confused the issue and lead to way too many illegal forward passes. (I just realized, after I wrote that last sentence, that Brin is going to hate this post...)

We've played twice since that first Sunday, and once was on New Years Day after most of the guys were up all night! We always gather a crowd of curious onlookers, and a few times we've picked up some walk-ons from the crowd. We've been playing tackle on a small sand field. The dislocation has been the most popular injury so far - a shoulder and a toe. I think I'm going to push for flag football soon.

On a personal note, I go through football withdrawals every year during the NFL season. I've been able to get a few games that I've enjoyed watching. But really going out there and playing has been a pretty good fix as well. Plus, for the first time in my life, I'm the star quarterback!

Here, one of the throw-happy guys decides to chuck the ball instead of being tackled. He was not the quarterback and was well past the line of scrimmage.

This guy, Leandro, actually has a pretty good tuck going. Usually the ball would be waved frantically by the runner.

Explaining plays was also a chore, but like "backyard" football back home, they rarely (if ever) went according to plan.

5 comments:

davesonya said...

Sure looks like fun - and probably better for you than watching football all day!

Tom Pflederer said...

Not sure how happy I am about this. We are presently still nursing the other son back from a football injury. Here's two votes for flag.

Dad and Mom

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am all for it....wish I could help you teach it....this coming from the Pflederer with the broken neck from playing football. Looks like a lot of good bonding with some guys.....now to translate that into your ministry....you already have by building relationships.... Good for you.


By the way..this is Joey

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous. Football in a sand cage looks like a lot of fun. I'm not a creative person, but those were some great action pics that got me thinking
Hollywood. They could make a movie called "Jungle Football" starring Neil Patrick Harris as the star quarterback of course.

Adam