Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Adventures with dad

Brin's been gone on a boat trip for about a week now. I've been enjoying hanging out with the girls. I think they'll be in for a little bit of an adjustment time when mom returns, kind of like after the kids get to spend time with grandma and grandpa. Anyway, here are a couple of things we've been doing together...

For some reason I have memories of making Apple Dumplings on special occasions with my family when I was younger (I can't for the life of me remember what those special occasions were, maybe like in my case dad was just hungry for some dumplings). We made some the other day. It all went great, except for when I ran out to get some ice cream...

It seems vanilla ice cream is harder to find than you'd think. As I was digging around in the freezer, pushing aside such flavors as "green corn" and "tapioca", I tried to explain that I wanted vanilla, or something close to that. "Oh, are you making a milk shake?" the patron asked. I hesitated, should I try and explain to her how I'm making a dessert and it just tastes better with vanilla? I'm not sure I can even put to words with English the complimentary tastes of a warm apple dumpling and a cool scoop of vanilla ice cream. I decided to forego the explanation. She sure tried hard to please me though, at one point bringing me vanilla ice cream... with raisins. "It's mostly vanilla with some raisins", she explained. Finally I opted for Vanilla with some sort of chocolate candies, I figured it was better than trying to spit out raisins like watermelon seeds. Come to find out, the chocolate candies didn't take away anything from the sweet sweet melody of apple dumplings and ice cream.


The girls were pretty bummed out that they couldn't go with mom on the boat trip (unbeknownst to them one of the reasons she was going was to get some time away from them). So I promised to take them camping, which we did in the backyard, and we also went to a local beach with a group from our church. We spent the day there, playing football and swimming. The beach was an hour and a half boat ride from here, so the girls even got a little boat trip out of it.


7 comments:

Tom Pflederer said...

Who knew it would take a son making apple dumplings in the Amazon to make me hungry for them again. For the record, the "special occasion" was usually having visitors. Didn't matter much who. Making apple dumplings took a lot of hands and it became a fun community project. Matter of fact, I think we're having guests this weekend. Let me see if we have any apples....

Anonymous said...

I remember getting a half or third of a dumpling and then being put to bed, while Mom and Dad and the guests ate a whole one. We would fall asleep listening to the tinker of the spoon hitting the bowl. I think I need that recipe too!

The Webels said...

I love the personalities in that last pic of the girls! -Hansen

McSarah said...

What a good dad! Thanks for letting your wife come along on the boat : ) I had fun competing with her in various activities. lol
I would like a 25 meter freestyle rematch though, i was afraid i was going to hit the boat and kept looking up : ) REMATCH!!!

Anonymous said...

i love Ava's "pose" in the last picture!
~Abi

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Elas sao lindas!! Parabens pela linda missao!!