Monday, December 15, 2008

A Brazilian Ballerina



A few weekends ago Ella performed her first ballet recital. She only got about 7 practices in because the recital date was set for 6 weeks after we returned. Ella didn't seem to mind. She was just happy to be involved in something. I am too. Ella tried soccer almost 2 years earlier. I am still impressed she played not yet knowing Portuguese or even how to play soccer alongside children who had played in the streets while they were still in diapers. Actually, that's not true. The little toddlers just wear speedo type underwear or often are just naked. So, Ella liked soccer and wants to start up again, but for now ballet is a good fit and I am thankful for it.

Are you surprised we have ballet here? I was. The first time I found out about it was when I saw a little girl appropriately dressed for ballet, hair slicked into a bun, on the back of a motor-taxi. She looked out of place. And come to find, the whole ballet experience was a bit out of our ordinary lives. For one thing, the recital brought out the rich people in town. I was shocked at how many there were. The parking lot was filled with vehicles, instead of bikes or motorcycles. When Ella entered the recital hall, girls from other classes she had not met before ambitiously surrounded her to practice their English that they had learned at their private schools. Ella and I laughed because it was such a contrast to the remote river kids that usually require 20 minutes of inquisitive staring at my children before they warm up enough to start playing together. Another interesting moment occurred when I took Ella to pick up her costume that had been made for all the students. In reality, the seamstresses were horrendously disorganized and scarily behind schedule. I stood with about 5 other moms while they all jostled, complained and demanded that their daughters costume be done next. I had never been a part of such a thing in the culture yet. It kind of reminded me of those over-eager Little League parents. It was quite humorous. Josh or I went back to that seamstress 6 times before Ella's costume was done, about 2 hours before the curtain opened. Probably because my Portuguese wasn't good enough to argue my way to the front, in conjunction with the fact that I really did not consider the recital essential to my daughters upbringing.

I had a language mishap the other day. Not a funny one either. I was having a short conversation with a young women, she was 20 or even younger. I asked her how she was and she did not give me the quick, standard, "all well" response. Instead she told me that she is pregnant and left her boyfriend because he hits her. But here is what stinks, I didn't undertand. So I asked her to repeat it. I think she used some slang, sorta like "he slapped me around" or something. I didn't get it so again, she repeated and again I didn't undertand. On the third time, I understood and felt like garbage that I made her repeat something so horrible 3 times. But here is what really stinks. I was so stunned about what I did and somewhat paralyzed in the awkward moment that I did nothing, said precious little, and even worse, didn't even ask to pray for her. I see know that I was preoccuped with my lack of language to allow God's power to work through me. This insight into myself is sobering. I have thought about it a lot since then. How I get so concerned about my lack of fill-in-the-blank that I miss out on being powered in the way God intended me to be. I hope I have a chance to run into that girl again.

Josh had a great weekend. He spent a lot of time planning, organizing and working at a big event the central church put on. The weekend isn't over yet so check back soon for video, pictures and Josh's take on the whole weekend.

5 comments:

jane said...

bravo Ella!!! i am impressed.

Chelsea Newton said...

Haha brazilian ballet! I love it!!

AJS said...

Your post reminded me of my two years in Brazil and the 23 years that have transpired since then. Once in a while I get into the "what if" or "if only" syndrome about my time in Brazil. I still ponder on how I would have done things differently if I had been more mature, had known the language better, or not been so me-centered. I pray that you run into this girl again and can minister to her. Have a Merry Natal! Bencoes!

McSarah said...

I have a couple of blogs i read, really just my friends from moms group : ), glad to know I can check up on a Xingu-ian : )I am looking forward to meeting you and your family in person! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Tom Pflederer said...

Ella, you are beautiful! It was so much fun watching you and your group. Did G'ma tell you that one of the girls reminds us of Lisa, our Japanese-Brazilian friend who is about your age?

We are thinking about all of you every day as Christmas gets closer. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family and friends!

G'pa