Saturday, November 29, 2008

Our Christmas Cookie Adventure


Christmas cookies are not necessarily a tradition in our house, but I was kind of grasping at whatever holiday tradition I could get my hands on. After deciding on a cheese ball and Christmas cookies, Ella and I went looking for cookie cutters (more on the cheese ball later).

We seemed to have lost our cookie cutters somewhere in one of our many moves. After visiting several stores, and chasing down countless leads, we found something that looked like cookie cutters at an office supply store (of course). It was actually a set of 3 different stars, and we also found a flower shape that we thought might pass as a wreath. Not wanting to try my luck with St. Nick, I decided to make a snowman shape out of one of the stars. After much bending and re-bending, we had a very realistic snowman (and by realistic, I mean what an actual snowman looks like, not an actual snowman cookie cutter). We were in business, our collection of two stars, a pseudo-wreath and a realistic snowman made us feel very festive.

About the cheese ball. Brin had been very excited recently because of a new item at our local grocery store: Philadelphia Cream Cheese. I thought it would make a good cheese ball. It was not quite as firm as I remembered a cheese ball to be, and the Brazilnut covering gave it a unique taste. It was tasted by all and enjoyed by none.

Our impromptu Metal Shop Class

The finished snowman

4 comments:

angel_of_merit said...

snowman cookie cutter looks good

The Webels said...

Very nice tin-work!

K and K said...

looks like you have some great cookie cutters and an even better story to reminisce about one day!

Anonymous said...

Josh & family.
I wanted to send you an email but cannot find your email address.
My parents were missionaries in Altamira in the mid 70's to the early 80's.
my address is birucaitcha at gmail dot com
I would like to share some of my experiences in the 70's and 80's living in Altamira.
David Coleman