Thursday, December 13, 2007


The other day I went on what I thought was a day trip to another location in the Assurini. I showed up at Pastor Clenildo’s house, only to find out that we were going to be staying overnight. I rushed home and threw my hammock, clothes, and a few other things in a bag. We were already late for the ferry that, unlike anything else here, leaves promptly at the scheduled time.

Ella went with me, so that always adds to the adventure. It seems like every time I take one of the girls with me on a trip there is at least one time when they have to go to the bathroom “really bad” at the most inconvenient time possible. Ella did not disappoint. I also realized in the rush of packing I forgot a flashlight. Flashlights are essential when going to a place like the Assurini where there is no electricity. It made bedtime an adventure; we had hung our hammocks in a grove of trees so finding our way there after the church service while avoiding the occasional cow pie and roosting chicken proved to be difficult. I made a mental note to never forget a flashlight again.

I don’t eat a whole lot when I go on these trips. Dinner is especially unappetizing because it’s usually just the rice and beans reheated from lunch. I was lying in my hammock after I had tucked Ella in her hammock and one of the guys came up and excitedly told me that dinner was ready (keep in mind this is around 9:30). I politely declined, knowing Ella would not want to be left alone with the eerie sound of howler monkeys and surrounded by darkness. Plus, I was really in no mood for rice and beans.

Waiting for people to arrive for the service.


The family we visited was a follow-up to our last visit to the Assurini. A young man who had been at the TLC retreat invited us to stay with his family and invite his neighbors to a service. About 25 people showed up to watch a film and listen to Clenildo preach. In the morning we were gone, leaving them to their simple, hard lives. I’m not sure if we were just an interesting diversion or if the message we brought will lead to new life. I’m learning that God doesn’t always give us clear victories. And sometimes what he asks us to do will show no results at all, but obedience is required just the same.

Ella cooling off by the family's only source of water

No comments: