Wednesday, September 02, 2009

São Felix do Xingu

Our group at the riverfront in São Felix: Josh, Fransisco, Aline, Clyde and Allison

I confess, August truly was a pathetic month for blog posts. Nothing excuses the poor showing of 2 whole posts. Let's hope for a better September...

Meanwhile, I (Josh) just got back from a trip to São Felix with Clyde, a fellow missionary who hopes to move to São Felix in the next year. It was a long journey; 12 hours on a bus... 8 hours in a car... 4 days in a boat... 6 hours in a car... 8 hours in a car... 15 hours on a bus. I'm working on a video that I will hopefully have done in the next few days (actually so far I have just been thinking about working on it).

Until then, here are some pictures:

The main reason for the trip was to get a better picture of the need for churches in the area around São Felix, we decided to explore the Xingu River for 4 days. In a rented boat, we traveled downstream, stopping occasionally to talk to people along the way.

One of the things that struck us was the lack of houses on the river. There seemed to be much more people living inland, possibly due to the popularity of the cattle industry in that region.

Talking to the people along the river gave us a better sense of the need for churches, where the majority of the people lived, as well as a feel for their economic needs. In the above picture we talk with a man who is making a dugout canoe. His daughter lead us through a jungle trail to where he had felled the tree and was busy hollowing out the canoe.

Our boat captain, with one hand on the rudder control and the other on a string which lead to the throttle control. The motor was out of a truck , including the transmission, and had to be stopped by ducking below into the engine room and moving the shifter into neutral.

Each of the three nights on the river we found islands to sleep on. Our hammocks with mosquito nets served us well, except for the one night when we had a rain storm. We all ended up sleeping in the boat that night, and didn't get much sleep.

Allison and I enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning.

Allison, Clyde and I sit on top of the boat as we arrive back at São Felix.

2 comments:

Kelsie Bergquist said...

Hey Josh! It's great to see that you posted a blog already. I've been thinking a lot about our trip. I'm really glad that you and Alison were able to come. I'm more excited than ever to get out to the Iriri! I'm going to try to get to a internet cafe' to google earth the area- where the trans-iriri meets the Iriri. [ try to get some questions answered before next trip.] I hope you rested up since you got back. Say hi to Brin for me Clyde

Tom Pflederer said...

Great post, Josh. Love the pictures and details showing some of the differences in culture and economy. I also have apologize for not communicating very well in the last month as the school started for me. You have been on my mind a lot, and I will try to write you a long email soon. Love to Brin and the girls.

Dad