Tuesday, September 29, 2009

the little things that make a good vacation

I (Josh) originally wrote this post last week when we got back from Belem. Our internet was down for several days after I thought I posted it, come to find out it was never posted. So, here it is, a week later...


It's funny how little things can make a big difference. Air conditioning in our truck, for example. Without it you have to keep the windows down to keep from suffocating in the equatorial heat. But during the dry season the dust is so bad, in places it is like driving through snow. On our trip back from Belem, we passed one hill where a semi-truck was uselessly attempting to climb a dust covered hill (surprising, dust can be as slick as snow). Two more trucks waited to descend and a third was waiting nervously to take his run. We easily maneuvered around them, safely and dust-free in our air conditioned truck.

The funny thing was our air conditioner had recently gone out, not during our trip but a week earlier. After 3 return trips to the mechanic it was fixed, each time I was thinking "I hope this doesn't happen on our way to Belem". Our air conditioning functioned fine the whole way there and back. I have to think God was watching out for us.

Another little occurrence the day after we returned got me thinking again. After running some errands on my motorcycle I returned home to find a flat tire on the truck. It seems it somehow held up through all the bouncing and banging around on the TransAmazon, but sitting in my garage was too much for it. Sure, I could have changed the tire in 95 degree heat and 3 inches of red dust, but I'm sure glad I didn't have to.

We enjoyed a week at the beach as a family, and 3 days in Belem with Brin's parents. Brin and her mom flew back Sunday night, Larry (Brin's dad), the girls and I arriving 10 minutes after they did, after 14 hours on the road. Thanks to all of you who have been praying for our time away. It seems God worked in many little ways to make our time relaxing.


Two years ago, before we went to Belem the first time, we had promised to take Ella to the butterfly house as a reward for a school assignment, only to find out that it was closed. After Brin somehow explained the situation the staff allowed Ella to enter alone, for about 5 minutes. This time around it was open and we all enjoyed it together.

More Pictures Here

No comments: