Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ava is 7


For the third time, I found our school room had flooded during the night. We have had so much rain that I am eager for the dry season to start. The entire Amazon Basin has received record amounts of rain this year. Thankfully, Altamira has not had another flood since the one last month, although the fear is still a reality for some. So I am thankful that I only lost a few books and papers, remembering people that lost everything. It is 11:30, Sunday morning and I have spent the morning cleaning. So much for a day of rest. And I see the danger in losing it as I am tense and finding myself overwhelmed in the tasks of just living here. I know I've got to let some things go, I am still just not sure what.

Last night we hosted a party for Ava's 7th birthday. We had 27 children (which is why i am still cleaning now), most invited and some that just showed up. I put a lot of effort into making this a Brazilian party, even though I myself have never attended a child's party in full. I am usually more than eager to just drop my daughter off at the 5 or so parties they get invited to a year. And I think it was pretty Brazilian accept for the grapes (a rare treat) I put in the "salada de frutas", the over-the-top princess dress Ava wore, and the occasional English words we let slip. And it was the Brasilians who wanted to sing Happy Birthday in English. So lucky Ava got two songs. We had a downpour just as it was time for the children to go home, although just because the party ends does not mean people necessarily go home, I have learned. Ava, comandeering leadership of her own party, led about 10 kids into the now dark street, giggeling, screaming and dancing in the rain. They were soaked by the time Chelsea told me what was going on, and I was fretting that a mom would show up and wonder what kind of family lets the children play in the rain, in the dark, in the street. Come to find out, that is mine. So as you can see, I have let some things go. Maybe it is a little weird that my family goes outside to play when it starts to rain. But I am still, after 2 1/2 years finding my way.

Friday was another, and especially notable, Alpha Circles meeting (our Friday night English meeting). Terry, a new missionary in Porto de Moz shared some beautifully raw moments from his life. It was touching. Several of the dedicated attendees told me it was meaningful for them and thanked me for the efforts we were putting into doing Alpha Circles. That was certainly a boost for me.

~posted by Brin

Follow this link to see more pictures from Ava's Birthday Party

3 comments:

K and K said...

I love the pictures from the party and especially Ava's dress!
We had a 'French' birthday party for our 7 yr old this year, too - they also sang to him in English... so funny.
Hope it dries up there soon.
So happy to hear about the encouragement for the Alpha Circles outreach as well.
love, Kristy

Tom Pflederer said...

A boost for us too. Everything you write is so good--"beautifully raw"--what a great pair of words to have found each other. I love it.

Our home was full tonight--7 international students from 7 different countries joined our usual small group. For some it was the first time in an American home. Wwe had a great time getting acquainted, telling stories, laughing at many things, and then prayed for them before they left. Kind of our own Alpha Circle, St Louis style.

Can't wait to see you all.

Rich Schurter said...

Happy Birthday Ava! Finally, the school year is over, Vicki is retired, I'm getting caught up with life in Altamira. You are in our prayers regularly. We still plan to be in Altamira June 2010! With all our love, rich and vicki