Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Don't Beat Your Donkey

Pastor Ademir (in red)

It’s refreshing to get out on the river and see the work that’s being done there. Recently most of my trips have been to communities on the roads. But there’s something about being out on the river that is rejuvenating. I went with a team from Canada to help with translating. We spent a few days with Pastor Ademir, the pastor of our church in Souzel, a town of about 8,000. He overseas about 5 river churches that are at different stages, some are only a handful of believers in a village, others actually have buildings and meet regularly. His oversight includes visiting them on a monthly basis.


Ademir’s story is a story of sacrifice. He used to be the associate pastor of our largest church in Altamira. A few years ago he felt God calling him to Souzel. The contrast between Altamira and Souzel is almost as great as that between Altamira and the States. He stepped down not only in living standard, but also in salary and position.


The story of Souzel somewhat parallels that of Ademir. What was once a thriving community with 7 sawmills fueling the local economy is now struggling with the closing of nearly all of it’s sawmills. Ademir’s wife used to run a clothing store to supplement their income, but recently closed down the business due to the local economy.


I’m sure Ademir feels like Brin and I do sometimes, that it would be easier to pack things up and move back to where it’s comfortable. I’m sure he wonders if the struggles are worth it. And yet he chooses to stay. I hope I can have the faith of Ademir. That I can see the eternal value of things and not the temporal.


I was reading about the prophet Balaam today. Balak offered him many riches (comfort, security, higher living standard) in exchange for cursing God’s people. The choice was clear, the easy way out or doing what God called him to do. I only wish I had a donkey that would talk to me to help clarify where God is leading.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another thought-provoking and insightful blog. I don't remember hearing this background when we met Ademir and his family. We are praying continually for the Lord to lead you clearly in the way you should go.

Love you all so much!

Dad

Rich Schurter said...

Ademir means so much to Vicki and I, we appreciate the update. You never know what God may do.

we miss you and will see you soon,

rich and vicki