Thursday, February 14, 2008

Goodbye to Beto

The day before we left Altamira, we had to say goodbye to someone very close. My language helper, since coming to Brazil has been a young man named Beto. He has grown to become much more than just my language helper, he has truly become a close friend.

You know how some people just give you the impression that God is going to use them in a big way? Beto is one of those people. Teaching himself English, mostly through a Portuguese-English Bible, he has proven to have more ambition and drive than the average person.

I've also had an opportunity to see Beto's heart for the lost. I've been on several outreach trips with him and experienced the passion and love that he has or people that don't know him. I've seen him deliver impassioned sermons to a handful of villagers, as if he were speaking to thousands.
In a couple weeks Beto will be leaving to study at a university in the south. He will be studying International Relations, and will probably not return to Altamira for 1 1/2 years.

I'll certainly miss my friend Beto, but I'm excited that God will be using him where ever it is that he ends up.

Beto, on the right.

Beto's going-away party.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm really excited for Beto. He certainly is a special guy. Do you know if he'll have an email address? I'd like to have it if he does.

Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for your hurting heart of the loss of a very good friend -- hopefully you will be able to meet in the future. It will be wonderful to see how the Lord uses him. And you will understand his loneliness being so far from home. I pray that the Lord will develop another friend to be close to.
MOM

Rich Schurter said...

Josh,
Beto won't be there this summer????? Let me know if he has an e-mail or a way to help with expenses.

rich