Thursday, April 12, 2007

Easter at Belo Monte

This past weekend I was asked to go on an evangelistic trip to a town a couple of hours away. I took Ava and she was really excited about going on a trip with daddy. I knew we were in for an adventure when we arrived and I was told there were no bathrooms at the place we were staying. Belo Monte, the small town we visited, is the home of a small church that without a fulltime pastor has struggled to grow and produce fruit. The twenty-some team members, mostly college age students from Altamira, were eager to give up there own Easter weekend to help a struggling church. I was impressed by the attitudes of the young people on our team, it seems our churches do a really good job of preparing them for service and passing on the value of evangelism.

In the morning, small groups went out and canvassed the town. After lunch, a few of us went to a local radio station (it looked more like a pawn shop from the collection of old amps, mixers and even a record player). A pastor and my friend Beto gave an on-air plug to attend the meetings later that day. I was asked to say something, and even Ava got in on the fun. It had that college radio station feel (yeah this is radio, but is anyone really listening?).

In the afternoon, the team put on a VBS program and later that night, a church program where four people accepted Christ. Before leaving the next day we prayed for the couple who leads the church. This was the first time I saw our mission’s goal of “making disciples who reproduce themselves” so vividly lived out. It was definitely one of the most unique Easters that I have had, but I think also one of the most memorable.


Kids watch as the Brazilian team performs a puppet show


Ava participates in a tug-of-war contest.


Mothers wait for clothing that our group handed out.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: