Monday, June 26, 2006

Shots and tumors

A month ago I put considerable effort into getting my family immunized before I was to lose my health insurance. I researched which vaccines the CDC recommends and if those are actually appropriate for where we were going. The efficacy rates, dosing schedules, side effects, etc. Then I spent hours jumping through HMO hoops attempting to get $800 worth of shots covered. I am an RN and managing my family's health is what I do best. I do believe now that I have done my best to protect my family from the onslaught of disease we may or may not encounter. The whole thing was a pain in the butt (and arm) and according to the World Health Organization I am now only 33% likely to get typhoid fever. I am reminded of this today only because I noticed one of the reciepts from the Health Department still in my To Do pile. Frankly I am a little embarrased by my hypermanagement and ashamed at how quicky I forgot God's hand of healing on my own body just a few months earlier.
Last February I decided I had better see my Endocrinologist to devise a treatment plan while in Brazil (and, again, before losing insurance). I see an Endocrine doctor because I had a benign tumor on my pituitary gland that was found when I was 19 but I likely had had for many years. A tumor growing in your head may seem like a huge deal, and it often is for most people, but my tumor was easily controlled by medication (outrageously expensive). I never had surgery or radiation or anything like that. And in reality it affected my daily life only minimally and often not at all. Except that I would have hormone levels, MRI's and regular doctor visits quarterly. That is if I went. I had a strained relationship with my doctor (he was my only option, again issues with the HMO) mostly because I asked questions and tried to bargain down some of his treatment plans and he never appeared in the mood to talk. Anway, this visit it had been awhile since I had been in and he insisted I go for an MRI the next day before he would discuss the next two years with me. I also had not taken my medication for 2 + years since my symptoms weren't very bothersome and I couldn't take them pregnant or nursing (nursing as in lactating, not RNing) OK, fine, so I went. A couple days later I had gone to work and Josh had taken a message from the doctors office. "Someone from your endocrinologist's office called, they said your MRI was fine," Josh understatedly informed me. What do you mean fine? Fine, as in I don't require emergency surgery? Fine, as in it is smaller than before? I have never had a "fine" MRI. There has always been a report of a tumor, sometimes big sometimes small. In disbelief I called the office and had the nurse read a portion of the radiology report: "Mild deficiency of the superior margin of the right pituitary possibly in region of prior pituitary microadenoma. Pituitary gland has otherwise unremarkable appearance." I have a hard copy of that report and I will keep it forever. Is it gone forever? Maybe, maybe not but God knew I would expend a bunch of time and energy and He has other things for me to do. Twelve years ago a lot of people prayed for healing for me but God chose this time to reveal His power and provision as we follow His leading to Brazil.
-BZP

No comments: