Wednesday, July 20, 2016

TCK. Check!


post by~  Brin

Gabriella doing a CSI unit at Science camp at Greenville College.

On our way back to Brazil after 6 weeks in the US, Ava receives her boarding pass marked "TSA pre-check." This allows her to go through an expedited security line and keep her shoes on.  Since she's just a kid, she stuck by us in the slow/shoes off lane.  But kept her shoes on.  This garnered the attention of a TSA guy who asked her to take them off.  "I'm  TCA,"  Ava declared triumphantly. She repeated it to a confused agent who then asked Josh for clarification. Josh just said, never mind and Ava took her shoes off anyway.

So Ava's "TCA" response was probably a combination of TCK and TSA.  TCK is the abbreviation for Third-culture Kid.  And that she is, so her airport mishap was understandable.  TCK are children who are raised outside the culture of their passport country.  TCK's do weird things like when Gabriella years ago was disgusted that she had to pay an additional amount at Walmart checkout (it was tax. *gasp*).  Or Ava insisting on going barefoot on a treadmill since she normally runs barefoot.  On grass, for crying out loud.

I mention these TCK moments because as a mom they matter.  There were several big reasons we went to the States;  Josh got some aviation training, Gabriella did 5 college visits, we visited friends and family, and we got much needed "breathing space" and my girls got some out-of-the-jungle exposure.  But what was really watered my weary mom soul was the scholarship Gabriella received to go to science camp. Gabriella is leaning toward science as a major for college, but as it turns out there is no one to teach upper science or advanced math this year.  That rattled me.   I felt Gabriella was sacrificing for our ministry which I am ok with, sorta.  Err, apparently not, since I admit I was rattled. The camp has been a boost to her education and is exposing her to academics outside our jungle school.  And God orchestrated it all.  I could not have chosen better. And it solidifies my trust that God cares more for my babies than I do.  He sees our needs and is carving out a path for my girls better than anything I could ever dream.  It was a gentle reminder that I can trust Him in whatever path He lights for our family.

So here are some glimpses of our 6 week stay in the US.  I could give you some pictures of what we came home to the the Amazon but mostly that was just moldy chairs, a gecko skeleton and the crumpled carcass of a tarantula. Josh tried to get work down at the hangar our first day back but ended up coming home twice, once to deliver a new pipe for one that had busted and then later to taxi out a guest.  So life is back to normal and I love it.
Josh spent 2 weeks in Florida working towards a sport pilot license. 
While Josh was in Florida the girls and I stayed in North Carolina with my parents.

That's Ava and cousin Solomon stooling on Lake of the Ozarks.
Aunt Ronesha treated the grandkids to Silver Dollar City




Mia and friends on the 4th of July

A day excursion at the Steiner's lake which included being flung from the backhoe.


No comments: