Monday, March 29, 2010

What is good?

There is a strange gap in my memory after I struck the dog and then became aware of my body sliding to a stop on the road.  I don't think I blacked out, I just have no memory.  As I came to my senses, my initial concern was for my left arm that was extended above my head.  I have a bad shoulder that is easily dislocated; over the years I've learned how to manipulate it back into place.  I slowly lowered my left arm with my right, preparing to put it back into place, but realized it was not dislocated.  I assumed the discomfort I felt in my shoulder was evidence that my shoulder had dislocated, but returned on it's own.  There was a soreness, but nothing that made me think anything was broken.  Next I assessed my legs, nothing was broken.  My chin was bleeding and I realized I had broken some molars (which at first I thought was gravel).  But all in all I felt thankful that I was essentially able to walk away from the crash (albeit limping).

Riding in a strangers car back to the city, I remember looking out the window with a grateful heart.  I thanked God for protecting me, for sparing me from more critical injuries.  More than a week later I am now struggling to have that same thankful heart.  The seriousness of my injuries have changed somewhat.  I have broken bones both in my shoulder and chin, and my knee may have some ligament damage (not a professional assessment, I see the orthopedic doctor tomorrow).  But does any of that change the reality that God is in control and deserves my thanks?

I've been reading in Acts about the early church.  What really was the hangup that many of the Jews had with Jesus?  Among other things, it was essentially they were looking for a messiah as they desired him to be.  They wanted to be saved on their terms.  I have come to realize that I do the same thing with Jesus.  I want him to "save" me from the difficulty, pain and disappointment of this life; when He doesn't I feel let down, even disillusioned.

Faith seems to have as much to do with trusting in how God works as in who God is.  It's easy to believe in a God when His will and our own lines up, but the moment His plan diverges from ours, we question where He is.  My personal faith struggle comes down to this: Do I believe God is good?  To clarify, am I willing to allow God to define "good"?  Declaring that God is good is easy, until I decide His goodness is not what I had in mind. 

I'm still in the midst of this lesson.  I'm learning what it means to trust Him.  I'm taking some cues from the writer of Ps. 118:1,2:

O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his steadfast love endures forever!
Let Israel say,
"His steadfast love endures forever."


Let me say, "His steadfast love endures forever."

 

6 comments:

Lilly said...

Well put. I understand your struggle and have been there numerous times as well. I consider myself a slow learner and am immeasurably thankful for God's patience with me. Praying for your full recovery. Thanks for your honesty; it's refreshing!

jane said...

Josh...love this post. i'm encouraged and challenged to let God work His way...not mine. definitely something i'm not very good at either! hope you are finding encouragement daily during this time! -jane

Diane Distad said...

Funny....I thought I was the only one who questioned my faith walk in that manner, Josh. It's awfully hard to see blessings when you're in pain but you seem to be doing pretty good at. Even though He says His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are above our thoughts, we still really think He should just work things out our way.

Rich Schurter said...

Wow, your journey sounds so similar to our walk that led in a direction that we never imagined. You are not alone in this journey and God honors and desires to have this dialogue with you. Vicki and I continue to pray as you heal. Keep talking and listening.

Tom Pflederer said...

Easter morning, thinking about our Lord's example--not my will, but yours--how profound and radical and explosive it is to my thinking. Your blog is a great example how it can play out in our lives. I'll probably read your blog today at our old church breakfast. Thanks for putting your thoughts into words. Love you. Dad

McSarah said...

Thank you : )