Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Travel, and life inbetween

Josh is home. And really I can agree that absence makes the heart grow fonder, or at least it prompts me to work on my marriage more. For one thing, Josh is leaving again in 9 days, so while I was counting down his arrival from Rio Negro, I immediately started another countdown until he leaves for Maribel.


So while Josh was gone the girls and I plugged away at our own daily lives. We had our second to the last Alpha Circles meeting where we celebrated Sharon’s birthday. We made 60 cupcakes that Amanda and Marsha decorated and they turned out to be a hit with the students.


The next day a memorable event was the Festa de NaƧoes (Festival of Nations) that the girls’ school puts on, memorable in a way that will remind me not to get too involved next year. Several months ago, each class was assigned a country. The students learn a dance, pray for their assigned country but most of the time was spent raising money for the Baptist church and a new playground for the school. Several months ago Ella arrives home from school to tell me she was voted “Miss South Africa” by her class. I let her accept the offer not entirely understanding what our responsibility would be, but knowing it would once again find me fund raising for missions, this time for the Baptists. Finally the course culminated with an impressively large all-school event. The place was packed, the program running late (as usual, per the culture), and the whole time I had no idea what was going on. Thankfully Ella did and found her way to the stage each time she was supposed to be there. It was 10:00pm by the time Mia’s class (of 4 and 5 year olds, mind you) were called up to do their dance. I literally had to carry her up there she was so tired. She danced and loved it. I contemplated how long it would take for Ava’s class to be called up and I guessed it would probably be around midnight. I did not want to wait until midnight just so I could witness Ava’s refusal to get on stage. She has stage fright, had it for a while now, but we are not sure if it's a classic case or if she is just tired of everyone looking at her all the time. We never blend in you know and it is harder on Ava than any of us. So, pretty sure it was gonna be a long night, I left early. Ella was not happy that she would miss out on all the fun she had been anticipating for months and felt like she had a responsibility to stay until the end, but I didn’t care. I was tired, a (temporary) single mom and still had to pack for my boat trip the next day. I later heard that is ended at 1:30 am.


Mia, representing Japan, admiring the kimonos of her classmates.

All the Mr.'s and Miss's from each class, every class having a different nation

Ella as South Africa, Ava as Spain and Mia as Japan.


The following day I boarded the boat along with 10 visitors from Cleveland for a 5 day trip up the Xingu. Up until the moment I left the house in the back of my mind I was always thinking I could back out if things became too busy at home. Wow, I am I glad I went. This group from Cleveland was eager to experience anything missions and jumped in with both feet everything God placed before them. It was one of those boat trips that could have gone on much longer quite enjoyably. I personally was able to bond with several of women and look forward to where God takes those relationships. It was sad to see them leave but they left us all so encouraged.

David sharing under the mango trees while Denise translated.

While I was on the boat, Amanda ran the house. Amanda? I should properly introduce her. Meet Amanda Kilborn, age 20 from Cambridge, Ontario.


She is my new home school helper. She comes from a mission-hearted family and her mom and dad (Patrick and Laura) had recently visited and that is where she learned of my need for a home school helper. She lives in our back guesthouse and will stay with us until April. She delights my girls with all the craft and art goodies that she pulls out of what appears to be a bottomless suitcase. Amanda is artistic, quiet and gleefully chases down the lizards and bugs in my yard. Some exceptions being the rat that has been antagonizing our family and garden for the past week as well as the ticks that our guard dogs leave in front of her door.
Amanda had her hands full while I was away as Ella decided to unleash her sassy tween on Amanda and all my girlfriends that stayed the night. Things like talking Sheyla into letting her stay up late, even though she had done the same thing with Marilda the night before. So while I love to come home to my kids a refreshed and eager mom, I was immediately burdened to be the disciplinarian. Overall, though, for only being in the country 5 weeks, Amanda did great and I was so, so thankful to have here so that I could travel while Josh was away.


We've had a tough few days just recently. A little homesickness that was magnified by the passing of Josh's grandma Stuber and other things that just add up to make it hard to be away from home. We will post more on that later but for now we would appreciate your prayers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i love you and am praying for you. enjoyed getting a glimps into your life. God bless you

-kate snow

The Webels said...

So glad you had a wonderful time of refreshment. I'm sorry to hear about Josh's grandma. So thankful that they will be reunited one day, tho. Praying for you.
Rebekah

Anonymous said...

interesting blog, great photos.
God bless you

Rich Schurter said...

Know you are in our thoughts and prayers on a regular basis. Vick got to visitation. Continue the honest reflections, it helps us know how to pray.
rich

Shannon said...

Thanks for the kind words about our team Brin. We had the best time and I know that I could have stayed longer. I loved traveling on the boat and experiencing everything that Jesus put in front of us. I hope all is well for your family. Take care.

Mike and Heather Tacheny said...

what amazing costumes for what sounds like quite an event! I'm glad you survived--even if it wasn't pretty =) Sorry to hear about Josh's grandma. It is so hard to be away during those difficult times. May you feel a fresh anointing of God's Spirit on your lives during this christmas season! Love from all the Tachenys