Friday, October 23, 2009

Sending out


I recently read the following line in a book about missions "No one would ever dream of living in the tropics unless he were either after money or souls." (The Challenge of Missions by Oswald J. Smith). While technology has made city living in the tropics bearable, I tend to agree with that statement every time I go to the bush and experience life in a harsh reality, absent of any modern amenities such as electricity, refrigeration, lights, telephones, running water, etc. I often wonder what has driven these people to choose this difficult life? There must have been no alternative or perhaps the other option was equally bleak.

The method we have used, as a mission, is to make visits to these harsh environments, usually spending a few days each month evangelizing the area and raising up a leader. This is slow work, often complicated by illiteracy and the difficulty of transportation. I have been thinking a lot recently about a different method that I hope to help implement. Why not send a couple to live at a village, even for a short amount of time (3-6 months)? This couple could invest in a few leaders, leaving them more qualified to lead the church in our absence.

What sounds easy and straightforward on paper is not always such in reality. Reality says the local churches lack the funds to send out missionaries. Another challenge is that often the workers willing to go are young and inexperienced in ministry. I'm working with 3 Brazilians that are excited about giving this a shot. Rómulo and his wife Patrícia will be finishing up a commitment to the military in February. They don't have a lot of experience in mission work, but are very excited, willing and available. My friend Allison returned from a missionary training in August and he also is excited about moving to a village and applying some of the training that he received.

I've started a weekly meeting with the three, hoping that we can better prepare them for this venture. We've started reading through "Peace Child" by Don Richardson, which recounts the story of the Gospel coming to a headhunting, cannibalistic, stone-aged tribe in Irian Jaya. I remember reading the book when I was in high school and first became interested in missions. I think about how my romantic dreams of mission-life have changed over the years. I don't want to temper their enthusiasm, yet desire to prepare them for the sacrifices that will be required of them for such a calling.

Even though they certainly don't fully understand to what they are committing, it's exciting to see young people willing to go, not for the promise of riches, but for the fruit of souls.


Rómulo and Patrícia

Allison

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really excited about this development, especially because I feel like I know these three at least a little bit. Looking forward to hearing more. I thought the Obama look-alike guy was Sousa, though. Different name or different person?

Dad