Thursday, February 15, 2007

O Bandeirante


Bandeirante is the Portuguese word for pioneer or explorer. It’s also the Brazilian-made version of a sweet, yet elusive vehicle, better known as a Toyota Landcruiser. I’ve been looking for a Bandeirante since I got here. It’s really my dream vehicle, but since I’ve only found 2 in the city of Altamira, and neither of the owners wanted to sell, I moved on.

A couple days ago things seemed to fall into place…
In the morning, I found out that we had received a donation that would help in the purchase of a much needed vehicle. Later that same morning, I ran into a guy that I had seen a week earlier. He had a Bandeirante, but he was leaving that morning for another state. He was willing to sell it to me, but the price seemed way too high. I passed on the deal and didn’t think much more about it. So when I saw him again, a week later, I was surprised. This time, he was a little more desperate. The price had come down $3,000, so I bought it.

When I mentioned it was my dream vehicle, don’t get too excited. It takes a certain twisted mind to dream like this. It’s a 1978, has a Mercedes Benz diesel that sounds like a tractor and windshield wipers, and that’s about it. For some reason Brin doesn’t share my dream, or even the desire to drive it. We are still on the lookout for a VW Bug that Brin can use for around town. That way she will still have a vehicle if I leave on a trip. We are also thinking the Bandeirante will be an idea vehicle to let pastors use on trips to the bush. It was amazing to see God orchestrate things this way. I can’t wait to get it all muddy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a sweet vehicle, reminds me of the one you used to drive in PNG. I can see it stacked high with a pile of building supplies and camping equipment and a team of unsuspecting US volunteers to go do a project somewhere in the bush. It looks like the vehicle you would want to drive. Congratulations on your find!

Stephen Hillrich said...

How cool is that! Come on...it looks like a fun ride. Back to Land Cruiser heaven!

geyerba said...

This looks a little similar: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tequilla/194947970/

Anonymous said...

carrão eim ?!
pow gostei rsrrsrs
xauuuu
ate mais
ass. allison

Anonymous said...

ei josh eu quero falar que, você tem um carro muito bom, para nossa região transamazônica, o teu carro tem muita força, eu gostei, você tem um BIG carro (carrão)

tchau até mais... assina. allison